How to Keep Away from Online Casino Scammers?
Table of contents
Going online for a fun and entertaining afternoon filled with online casino games can get quite nasty real quick if you step on an online casino scam. Although there are hundreds and hundreds of legit online casinos, there is some online casino scam that you'll have to look out for. Just as not all online casinos are safe, not all online casinos are a scam.
So how can you find out if a casino site is really as safe as it's advertised? Continue reading, and we'll tell you all of our tips and tricks on how to protect yourself against an online casino scam and how to choose a legit online casino out of hundreds of safe online casinos out there.
What Is a Safe Online Casino?
One of the most important things that play a great role in the result satisfaction from the online casino game is whether or not you play at some safe online casinos. Are all online casinos safe?
Of course, not there are a lot of online casino scams too. However, you can look for a certain set of features in an online casino, and if you can actually find them, you'll know that you're playing in one of the safe online casinos.
The Random Number Generator
So what is an RNG, and how can it protect the player? Well, the Random Number Generator is an algorithm that can automatically create some extra-long sequences of random numbers. However, a fixed number called a seed determines the entire series.
The Random Number Generators are vital for making casino games completely fair and honest. That's why independent regulators test all the RTGs before a casino is granted an operating gambling license.
If they fail the test, the online casino will never be granted an operating license. Furthermore, the RNGs are the ones that stop online casinos from rigging their available casino games in their favor.
One of the most important things you'll have to check when you are researching for safe online casinos is how serious they understand data protection.
Furthermore, security is an essential subject for any legit online casino site because when one plays online with real money, you'll be handling some pretty sensitive personal and financial information entirely at the site's disposal.
As much I’d go that far to say that you should only enter all of your sensitive information after you've made sure that it’s safe to play at that online casino and that the connection between you and the casino isn't corrupted.
Safe online casinos are implementing advanced encryption tech to make sure everything is tight and protected.
Internet Casino's Encryption Protocols and HTTPS Details
When doing your research on whether the casino you've chosen to play is one of the safe online casinos and you find something that says that that certain casino boasts 128-bit data encryption and has a valid HTTPS – it's a good sign.
Maybe these numbers and abbreviations don't mean much to you, but believe me, to online security, they mean a lot.
Security Encryption Protocols
One of the most commonly used types of encryption at banking sites and legit online casinos is the SSL and TLS. In short, using the strong protocol TLS means that one can crack the encryption only after breaking more than 300 trillion combinations, which is theoretically impossible and not even to speak practically – you'd need more than a lifetime.
This protocol mainly defines how your browser, e.g. Google Chrome works via a secure connection. Offers the necessary encryption to make sure everything you share throughout that connection goes to the place it's supposed to go while being protected and kept private.
Various Payment Methods
One of the signs that the casino you're playing at is trustworthy and one of the few legit online casinos is to have partnered with multiple popular and trustworthy payment methods like Visa, Maestro, and various wired transfer providers, among others.
Some of the most popular casino payment methods accepted by the majority of online casinos worldwide:
- Visa, both credit and debit cards
- Mastercard, both credit and debit cards
- Cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin and Etherium
- AMEX or American Express
For example, at the Bodog Casino review you can read more about the various casino payment methods that they offer, among which:
- Check by Courier
- Direct Bank Transfer
- Rapid Transfer
- Visa Credit & Debit Cards
Any of those safe online casinos you might play at has to have a valid license issued by a legitimate body.
- Lotteries and Gaming Authority of Malta – isn't only a licensing body but also an independent auditing company and a regulatory body for all kind of entity related to the eGaming industry
- The Alderney Gaming Control Commission (AGCC) – this commission grants
- full licenses
- short-term licenses
- licenses to business who run their main operation from another jurisdiction
- Kahnawake Gaming Commission
- Curacao eGaming Licensing Authority, Netherlands Antilles – the authority issues only one license, and all the products of a business fall under it
- Gibraltar Licensing and Regulatory Authority – issuing many types of eGaming licenses, among others:
- Licenses granted for bookmarkers
- Licenses granted for gaming machines
- Licenses granted for gaming operators
- Licenses granted for betting intermediaries
- Licenses granted for lottery promoters
- Licenses granted for online gambling activities
Truly safe online casinos must have a good reputation both among their competitors and their casino players. You can always check the web to see are online casinos safe and which ones have the best reputation among players.
You know some casinos don't pay out their clients, but that's not the case with all of them because some legit online casinos do everything in their power to make the gambler feel special and have a good time. You just have to find that one casino that will make you feel special.
What Is a Scammer Casino?
Some online casino scams will sell your data to third parties, or they may steal your identity and finances. So how is that done? You don't have to deposit money to an online casino scam for them to get access to your personal data. It's enough to just register to their site.
Usually, suppose a casino doesn't enjoy the public favor and there are tons of bad online reviews about the said casino. In that case, it might be a good sign to pass that casino and just find another casino from the big bunch of safe online casinos.
Red Flags That Might Show Off The Obvious Online Casino Scam
- The casino isn't certified with any license or is certified with some shady license
- The online community doesn't have anything nice to say in respect of that online casino
- The online casino doesn't offer withdrawals from various casino payment providers
- There aren't available casino games from some of the most prominent gambling software developers
- There is no SSL protection on the online casino site, i.e., the padlock located just on the left of the URL
- The online casino doesn't offer a live all around the clock customer support
Types of Casino Scams
There are a couple of ways an online casino can scam you out, however, the ones you’ll read about below are one of the most common scams that online casinos perform on their customers.
The Outright Deposit Theft
The most common scam ever! There is almost no online casino scam that hasn't used this technique to deceive their customers. Deposit theft is when the casino encourages you to make a deposit, and then it makes it impossible to withdraw your money – pretty similar to the scam where casinos won't pay you out your winnings. In many cases, the casino will make you deposit the money with the promise you'll get a bonus on that money and then trap everything in. Sometimes the online casino scammers actually freeze your account without any warning, and the available funds on the account are blocked.
Unrealistically large deposit or reload offers
This isn't actually a scam but rather hiding important information from the customer and a lack of transparency. Anyways, in these cases, the casino operator has some terms and conditions that are almost hidden on their website and are something like those conditions when you get a loan from the bank – written with the smallest font at the end of the page.
Although we've talked about this game rigging before, it's worth mentioning once again. Namely, a popular online casino scam has become game rigging, i.e., where the casino lets you win the game for a bit, and then they take everything from you in a hand or two. That's why you should always look out for casinos that have collaborations with trusted developers of gaming software.
Some Other Common Online Casino Scams
- Identity Theft
- Refusal to Pay Winnings
What to Do if You Are Scammed?
Did you still get scammed? Here's what you can do to recover your money.
The best way of getting back your money would be if you'd contact the company you've used to make the transaction and notify them that it was a fraudulent transaction. In many cases, it's possible for the companies to have the transaction reversed.
Did you send money through a money transfer app?
You can report the fraudulent transaction to the company behind the money transfer app. If you have your credit or debit card linked to the app, it might be good to notify your credit card issuer or/and bank of the fraudulent transaction made. Most times, either the bank/card issuer or the money transfer app will make the refund.
In any other cases, if you've made a payment through another online casino payment method, you can do the same procedure, contact the companies with the proofs and ask them to stop the transactions or refund the money.
How to Stay Safe When Playing at Online Casinos
The best way one can stay safe while playing online is by using a VPN to add another layer of protection and doing some really good and deep research before actually depositing some funds on the online casino site. Remember that before making sure you're playing on safe online casinos, you'll have to make sure you actually play on some legit online casinos. Cases have been seen of online casino scams with extraordinary security, so it'd be better if you don't take your chances.
Other Tips on How To Stay Safe While Gambling Online
- Always read the Terms and Conditions before starting to play, even before making a deposit
- Use a trusted third-party online casino payment method
- Use player protection tools like GamStop
It's important to understand that just as there is nothing perfect in real life, the same happens in the digital world. No online casino site will offer the best casino games from the most trusted online gambling software providers, the best casino payment methods, nor the best security protocols at once.
There is a big difference between a legit online casino that partially covers those things we just mentioned and an online casino scam. The best way you have to skip those fraudulent and not safe online casinos is to do a lot of research before engaging in any online gambling activity and have your eyes wide open.
- Can online casinos be trusted?
- The bigger part of online gambling sites is perfectly safe to play on. Our advice is to play only on online casinos recommended by the bigger part of the online gambling community. That's the easiest way you'll skip those fraudulent and not safe online casinos.
- How do you know if an online casino is legit?
- Although there are a couple of ways one can check if the online casino they tend to visit a lot is perfectly safe, the most common way is to go for the gambling license. If online casinos have a verified gambling license, in many cases, it's a sign of legit online casinos.
- How do you know if a casino is safe?
- It would be best if you always went for SSL protection in this case. If you want to see if a certain online casino is one of those perfectly safe online casinos, always check for that padlock that stands right to the URL.
- Where can I find a safe online gambling site?
- If you are looking for a legit online casino that offers extraordinary protection, then you should try one of these:
Spin and Win Casino
Silver Oak Casino
Vegas Mobile Casino
- If you are looking for a legit online casino that offers extraordinary protection, then you should try one of these: